Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Sigh of relief, Shout of celebration and Signs of getting older




I have 3 things to talk about.. I guess that is what happens when I don't blog for a couple months!!
#1- As some of you may know.. My mom found out she had breast cancer last year.. She has had a horrible time of it.. had to do both chemo and radiation. It was a difficult year for all of us. She had many setbacks. It was the first time someone close to me really got sick and it was hard to be so far away from her. Well.. she recently had her scan and bloodwork and she is cancer free!! She has to be checked every 4 months to make sure nothing is lingering. I know it isn't Mother's Day but I want to honor her for her courage. She always seemed upbeat when I talked to her. She is a gentle, supportive and a wonderful mother and grandmother. Congratulations Mom.
#2- Bragging time...bear with me... My son Bryce celebrated his 14th birthday. He invited some of his friends to watch "Monsters VS. Aliens" then we had cake in the party room at the theater. He has a bunch of great friends..even girls. It was fun to watch them and I did some reminiscing. He loves basketball and is always found dribbling around even though we only have a gravel driveway. So for his birthday, we are going to get a basketball court to play on. He is such a helpful kid and always asks what he can do for me. He is responsible, a 4.0 student and recently completed his eagle. I am very proud of him!!

#3-The last and not as exciting as the others... I found my first gray hair. Now, I have been putting highlights in my hair for years but decided a few months ago to back to my natural color. I saw this hair for awhile but thought it was just a highlight still hanging on.. but no.. it was gray. I am not sure about how I feel about growing old.. I am proud of my age but also long sometimes for younger days. I have been transfering old family videos to dvds ..watching the kids growing up..they were such cute babies. I decided parenting is hard no matter how old the kids are.. the problems just change. (I'll spare you a pix of the gray hair)




4 comments:

Jess said...

GREAT news about your Mom!!! So glad she is cancer free :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Janet, that IS great news about your mom. I had no idea.

Happy Belated Day to Bryce. It's fun to hear about your kids, so please don't apologize. You have great kids.

Gray hair? You waited an awful long time to get one!

Matt said...

Where are you putting the court? Bryce is quite a kid.

Mindy said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing well. She is a beautiful woman. Keep us updated.